Applications Open 1 September 2017
The CAA National Study Grant Scheme (CAANSS) is available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people who are studying a chiropractic course at an Australian University.
It is a CAA National initiative designed to encourage and assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in chiropractic to complete their studies and join the health workforce. CAA National has a strong relationship with Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA), the national not-for-profit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander allied health organisation, who will be a key partner in the selection and support of the successful candidate.
Applications for the 2018 round of the CAA National Study Grant Scheme close on 30 September 2017. No late applications can be accepted.
Download the CAA National Study Grant Application Form >
For updates on future study grant rounds please contact CAA National at firstname.lastname@example.org or IAHA at www.iaha.com.au/allied-health-careers/scholarships/
Applications will be considered from applicants who are:
- of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- Applicants must identify as and be able to provide a confirmation of their Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status.
- enrolled or accepted into an entry level or graduate entry level chiropractic course. Supporting documents will need to be provided.
- Courses must be provided by an Australian university. Funding is not for postgraduate study.
- Be a current member of or willingness to join the Chiropractors Association of Australia.
- Be a current member of or willingness to join Indigenous Allied Health Australia.
Value of study grant
Funding is provided for one year of the course. Full time study grant awardees will receive up to $10,000 per year and part time recipients will receive up to $5000 per year. The funding is paid in instalments throughout the study period of the year.
These are competitive study grants and will be awarded on the recommendation of the independent selection committee whose assessment will be based on how applicants address the following questions:
- Describe what has been your driving influence/motivation in wanting to become a chiropractor.
- Discuss what you hope to accomplish as a chiropractor in the next 5-10 years.
- Discuss your commitment to study in chiropractic.
- Outline your involvement in community activities, including promoting the health and well- being of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- How the scholarship will benefit the applicant professionally, personally and culturally. The CAAN Study Grant scheme is funded and administered by the CAA National.
The Indigenous study grants are an initiative of CAA National. At present, one scholarship is available per academic year. Students can apply for the scholarships from their first to final years of study. The CAA Natioanl Indigenous Student Study Grants will be open to applications from 1 September 2017 and close on 30 September 2017. Applicants will be advised of the outcome by 1 December 2017 to commence in the following academic year.
Applications will be reviewed by the Study Grant Review Panel appointed by CAA National and IAHA. Applicants will be required to complete the application form. The Study Grant Review Panel will evaluate applications using unweighted criteria. Unweighted criteria are most appropriate, because they allow the review panel maximum flexibility to apply their professional judgement in the full evaluation of each individual application. Applicants must be:
- An Australian resident and of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background.
- Currently enrolled in a programme of study in Australia leading to registration as a chiropractor.
Applications must be supported by a reference from a representative of an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander organisation. The decision of the Study Grant Review Panel will be final and is not subject to appeal by an applicant. CAA National reserves the right not to distribute grant monies if suitably qualified applicants cannot be found.
Contact CAA National
For further information please contact CAA National at email@example.com or 02 8844 0400