The Nutrition and Supplementation Clinical Interest Group has been formed to support the growing enthusiasm of the chiropractic profession in the area of nutrition and supplementation.
NASCIG Mission Statement
To act as the peak chiropractic body promoting the integration of evidence-based nutritional advice and supplementation into chiropractic care and the advancement of further education and research in wellbeing, disease prevention and health promotion.
The Aims of NASCIG
NASCIG works in collaboration with chiropractors, chiropractic students, educators, academics and key stakeholders to:
- Promote the integration of evidence based nutrition into chiropractic health care.
- Maintain the role of the chiropractor as a primary care practitioner whilst working within a multidisciplinary approach to health care incorporating good nutrition.
- Act as a peak peer review body for chiropractors providing nutritional advice
- Develop and maintain an extensive database of current nutritional research literature and other relevant information for access by the membership.
- Encourage evidence based and ethical practice in relation to nutrition and supplementation
- Act as an advisory body to government, regulatory and institutional bodies in the formation and development of policies relating to nutrition and the use of supplementation.
- The importance of fostering an attitude of prevention and health promotion in the general community, especially as it pertains to nutrition
- Nutrition and supplements (along with movement and exercise) are integral components of the chiropractic holistic approach to patient management and care.
- Optimal health requires consideration of a person’s physical, psychological and environmental issues.
The NASCIG committee is chaired by Dr Paul Bergamo with a committee team including Drs Damian Kristof, Peter McCann, Michael Proessler and Hannah Pickford, who all have further tertiary level nutrition training and 8+ years of clinical experience.
The committee is working to develop an exciting, proactive and engaging CIG providing a forum for all chiropractors to engage and interact across the profession in relation to evidence-based nutrition and supplementation.
This is an important support to the chiropractic adjustment that specifically relates to the clinical management of neuro-musculoskeletal conditions seen by chiropractors in practice today.
Membership to NASCIG is open to any CAA member from 1 October 2017 with a membership fee of $100.00.
Phone: (02) 8844 0400
Fax: (02) 8844 0499
Chair & Delegate to the Nutrition and Supplementation Clinical Interest Group
Dr Paul Bergamo